My career has never defined me. I call myself “mother, wife, friend, daughter” before identifying myself as “teacher” or “editor.” However, two and a...
August 17, 2023, marks National Nonprofit Day, a special occasion to recognize and appreciate the impactful work of nonprofit organizations. If you've worked in the nonprofit sector or volunteered to help with charity work, you're well aware of the significance these charitable organizations have on shaping and creating change. National Nonprofit Day encourages more people to support and appreciate this vital work in various ways, such as donating, volunteering, sharing impact stories, or expressing gratitude.
The Importance of Nonprofits:
Nonprofit organizations play a crucial role in our society, providing essential social infrastructure and contributing to the overall well-being of communities. From alleviating poverty to promoting education, healthcare, and environmental sustainability; nonprofits address critical issues that might otherwise be neglected. These organizations drive positive change, advocating for those who may not have a voice. Without nonprofits, countless individuals, families, and communities are left without a safety net, without hope.
Canada's charitable and nonprofit sector is the largest in North America and the second largest in the world. These organizations create a space where compassion, empathy, and generosity thrive, creating a culture of giving that enriches the lives of donors and recipients.
Nonprofits are also an economic powerhouse, contributing significantly to our country’s financial well-being. Did you know charities and nonprofits collectively contribute $192 billion in economic activity to Canada annually, employ 2.4 million people, and account for 8.3% of our country’s GDP?
Clients like ours, the nonprofits we’re proud to work with, play a pivotal role in changing lives, driving growth and creating global change. They tirelessly address issues from hunger and homelessness to education and environmental sustainability. These organizations are changemakers - working to improve the world, one life at a time.
Himalayan Life: Moving Children from Not Life to Life
Himalayan Life is a beautiful example of a nonprofit that makes a lasting impact on the lives of vulnerable, marginalized children and families in Nepal. Their mission extends beyond simply helping defenseless children off the dirty streets; they provide them with hope, education, and opportunities for a brighter future. By offering solutions like formal education, vocational training, and job opportunities, Himalayan Life empowers these young individuals to break the cycle of poverty and become active contributors to their community and the economy.
From October 14th to 28th, Himalayan Life’s founder and CEO, Daniel Burgi, will participate in an initiative called Tour De Himalayan Life.
During this 14-day, 1,000-km cycling adventure, Daniel will ride from project to project, delivering symbolic cheques and funding. Divided into five stages, the Tour de Himalayan Life offers opportunities to see the different Himalayan Life projects in Kathmandu, Chitwan, Pokhara, Ulleri, and Yangri. The stages involve cycling from one location to another, allowing ample time for interacting with Himalayan Life staff and children, gaining insights into the projects, and making a lasting impact on the communities Himalayan Life supports.
Himalayan Life extends a warm invitation to individuals interested in getting involved with the initiative, a perfect way to get involved on National Nonprofit Day in the following ways:
Option 1: Join Daniel in Nepal for one or several of the five stages and cycle with him from project to project.
Option 2: Travel to Nepal to accompany Daniel in the support vehicle and provide photography or videography services.
Option 3: Donate to the campaign and contribute to the sustainable development of the Himalayan Life projects.
Himalayan Life's commitment and dedication to sustainable long-term community development through educating children benefits entire communities and fosters long-term growth. By addressing the root causes of poverty and inequality, Himalayan Life is creating a lasting legacy of change in Nepal, and we are proud to be part of that change.
Natural Calm Canada and Bolton’s Naturals: Successful Social Enterprises
Natural Calm Canada and Bolton’s Naturals are successful social enterprises that use their business model to give back to the community. As well-known magnesium supplement brands in the natural health sector, Natural Calm Canada and Bolton’s Naturals offer high-quality magnesium products, channelling all of their profits after business expenses into supporting Thrive For Good, a charity focused on teaching sustainable gardening to impoverished communities worldwide.
By choosing these products, consumers are actively contributing to the well-being of others. This unique approach to business shows that profitability and social responsibility can go hand in hand, and it inspires other companies to consider the impact they can have beyond their bottom line.
The 70-year-old founder of Bolton's Naturals, Dale Bolton, has embarked on an inspiring journey to hike all 900 kilometers of the renowned Bruce Trail over 15 weeks, devoting two consecutive days per week to cover 30 kilometers each day. With approximately 36,000 steps and at least 8 hours of walking and hiking daily, Dale's journey began near Niagara Falls on May 26th and will conclude in Owen Sound by September 3rd, “weather permitting.” His wife Linda, Founder and CEO of Natural Calm Canada and co-founder of Bolton's Naturals, will support him throughout the expedition.
To donate to his program, please click HERE.
The charity they support, Thrive for Good, was founded in 2008 following a life-changing trip the couple took to Malawi. Witnessing the conditions faced by children in an orphanage they had previously supported, they realized the need for more sustainable solutions. They discovered that growing nutritious food was crucial to ending hunger and malnutrition. Since its inception, Thrive for Good has made significant strides in transforming communities across 17 countries, impacting over 130,000 individuals.
"Today, billions of people worldwide struggle to provide three healthy meals daily for their families,” said Dale. “Our mission is to make a difference and ensure everyone has access to adequate nutrition."
Celebrate and Support Nonprofits Today
As we celebrate National Nonprofit Day, let's not only express our gratitude to organizations like Himalayan Life and Natural Calm Canada, who lead the way in creating a better world, but take the initiative to do something ourselves. Whether volunteering, spreading awareness, or contributing financially, we can do our part to help these nonprofits to continue their vital work.
Today and every day, let’s work together to build a brighter future for all through the power of nonprofit initiatives.
Happy National Nonprofit Day!
- The Kaci Team
Six Amazing Ways to Celebrate National Nonprofit Day:
From volunteering and donating to spreading awareness and attending nonprofit events, your involvement can significantly support the charitable sector and foster a more compassionate community.
- Volunteer: Offer your time and skills to volunteer with a local nonprofit organization. Whether assisting at events, helping with administrative tasks, or engaging in hands-on activities, your contribution can make a meaningful difference.
- Donate: Consider donating to a nonprofit that resonates with you. Even a small contribution can significantly impact and support their vital work addressing various social and community needs.
- Spread Awareness: Use social media channels to raise awareness about your favourite nonprofit organizations and their essential role in society.
- Shop with Purpose: Support nonprofits by purchasing products or services from social enterprises that give back to charitable causes.
- Advocate for Change: Get involved in advocacy efforts for issues that matter to you, supporting nonprofits' efforts to bring about positive change.
- Attend Nonprofit Events: Participate in events organized by nonprofits, such as workshops, seminars, or charity runs.
Remember, the impact of your actions, no matter how small, can have a lasting effect and help make the world a better place.
- CanadaHelps.org (www.canadahelps.org): CanadaHelps is a leading online donation platform that allows you to discover and donate to thousands of registered Canadian charities.
- Imagine Canada (www.imaginecanada.ca): Imagine Canada is a national charitable organization that supports and strengthens Canadian nonprofits and charities.
- Charity Intelligence Canada (www.charityintelligence.ca): Charity Intelligence is an independent research organization that analyzes Canadian charities' impact.
- The Muttart Foundation (www.muttart.org): The Muttart Foundation is a charitable organization that supports and advocates for a strong and vibrant charitable sector in Canada.
- The Philanthropist (www.thephilanthropist.ca): The Philanthropist is a journal dedicated to exploring issues and trends in the Canadian charitable sector.
- CharityVillage (www.charityvillage.com): CharityVillage is an online resource for nonprofit professionals and volunteers in Canada.
- The Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) (www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency.html): Information on registered charities in Canada, including their annual information returns
- The Canadian Council for International Cooperation (CCIC) (www.ccic.ca): CCIC is a coalition of Canadian international development organizations.
- The Rideau Hall Foundation (www.rhf-frh.ca): website showcases various projects and collaborations highlighting Canadian nonprofits' impact.
- Client Spotlight! Episode 174 - Magnesium: The Miracle Mineral with Linda Bolton of Natural Calm: https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/episode-174-magnesium-the-miracle-mineral-with/id1496677282?i=1000622105881
- Client Spotlight! An Interview with Himalayan Life's Daniel Burgi: https://medium.com/authority-magazine/social-impact-heroes-why-how-daniel-burgi-of-himalayan-life-is-helping-to-change-our-world-2dcae200ca4a
- Q&A with Canadian Olympian Penny Oleksiak: https://bvmsports.com/2023/05/19/qa-with-canadian-olympian-penny-oleksiak/
- Check out Balance by Meghan's podcast with Natural Calm Canada's Linda Bolton, talking about the benefits of magnesium! https://podcasts.apple.com/ca/podcast/balance-your-life/id1453733964?utm_content=242469788&utm_medium=social&utm_source=facebook&hss_channel=fbp-103442161571140
- Did you know that Bolton's Naturals and @naturalcalmca donate 100% of their profits to the charity @Thrivingforgood? Check out this fantastic piece by @globalnews! https://globalnews.ca/video/9395341/a-vernon-couple-is-teaching-their-three-children-by-example-when-it-comes-to-philanthropy/?utm_content=234317218&utm_medium=social&utm_source=linkedin&hss_channel=lcp-69589533